- Friday, 24 February 2017 At the forefront of drive to train more women scientists
- Wednesday, 22 February 2017 MKU among the most popular universities in Kenya – research
- Wednesday, 22 February 2017 Varsity announcement on Distance Education and Institution-Based
- Tuesday, 21 February 2017 What to consider in changing education system, curriculum
- Wednesday, 15 February 2017 Varsity introduces Diploma in Financial Economics
- Wednesday, 15 February 2017 The Italian International Development Centre’s (IDC) Visit
- Monday, 13 February 2017 Address by Vice-Chancellor on student council inauguration ceremony
- Friday, 10 February 2017 Collection of Certificates / Revocation
MKU among the most popular universities in Kenya – research
Mount Kenya University (MKU) is among the top ten higher learning institutions preferred by employers, students and parents.
In the ranking by research firm Breakthrough Consulting, University of Nairobi (UoN) emerged top overall, but among private universities, only the United Stated International University (USIU) and Daystar ranked above MKU.
The new study commissioned by Madison Insurance Company also revealed that in 2015/16, MKU had the highest student population among private universities, at 21,562. It thus accounted for nearly a third of the total number of students studying in private universities during this period.
Overall, MKU has the seventh largest student population in a list topped by UoN.
Further findings showed that MKU offers more degree programmes than any other private university. It accounted for 14 per cent of all programmes offered in private universities.
The study’s findings echo those by Corporate Staffing Services Ltd, a leading human resource consultancy in Kenya. Regarding the private universities employers prefer hiring fresh graduates from, MKU was among the most preferred with a 13 per cent popularity rating (View report here).
The study by Breakthrough Consulting also shows that MKU competes favourably on fees charged, when looked against what public universities are charging under the Module II programme.
The University’s fees are affordable and payment is in flexible monthly instalments, thus making university education accessible to many in the region.
For example, MKU’s fees for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery compete well with what is charged by Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) and UoN.
Other degree programmes in which MKU competes well include:BSc Biology or Microbiology and Biotechnology, Bachelor of Arts Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution, BSc Food Science, Nutrition and Technology, B/Ed Arts, B/Ed Sciences, Journalism, Law and Information Technology.
The study found that fees at MKU have either been revised downwards or kept constant in the last five years.
The ISO 9001:2008 Certified University is continuously improving its service delivery in teaching, research and community outreach.Read more about Mount Kenya University here