Declaration of Vacancy: Vice-Chancellor
Mount Kenya University(MKU) is a chartered and ISO 9001:2015 certified University committed to a broad-based, holistic and inclusive system of education, serving both privately and Governmentsponsored students at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels. The University is a member of the Inter-University Council of East Africa as well as the Association of Commonwealth Universities. It is largely known for its dynamic, comprehensive and thorough academic and vocational training system as well as linkages with similar and reputable institutions. The University operates from the seat of the University in Thika and Nairobi, Mombasa and Nakuru campuses as well as its Open Distance and Electronic Learning (ODEL) centres located in major towns in Kenya and in Burundi, Somaliland and Uganda. The University has established Equip Africa College of Medical and Health Sciences - an accredited TVET institution offering courses in the field of Health Sciences in Kitale. The University also operates MKU Kigali, a cross-border campus based in the Republic of Rwanda.
MKU now invites applications from suitably qualified, visionary and experienced persons with impeccable track record in academics, research and administration, to fill the position of Vice-Chancellor.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be appointed Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive Officer of the University and Secretary to the University Council. He/she shall have overall responsibility for the direction, organisation, linkages, development, academic programmes and administration of the University.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to the University and represent the University nationally and internationally;
- Provide leadership and administration of respective committees as the academic and administrative head of the University;
- Co-ordinate the development and implementation of the academic and administrative policies in accordance to the University’s Master Plan and Strategic Plan;
- Have overall responsibility on the direction, organisation and the administration of academic programmes of the University;
- Chair the University Management Board and the University Senate;
- Be the Secretary to the University Council and ensure desired complementary synergies between the Management, University Council, Board of Directors and other partners;
- Ensure the University is operating within the necessary legal framework as provided for by the Commission for University Education and other regulatory bodies;
- Provide innovative and creative leadership in the areas of academics, finance, planning and development; general administration; research and partnerships;
- Perform other duties that may be assigned by the University Council in consultation with the Board of Directors.
Position Requirements Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Be holder of an earned PhD from a recognised university, and should be a Professor with exemplary performance record;
- Have at least ten (10) years of academic and research experience at senior level and demonstrated leadership skills in an academic and/or research institution;
- Should have served substantively with demonstrable results at least as a Dean/Principal of a College or Deputy Vice-Chancellor of a university, or in other similar institutions at comparable level;
- Should have published extensively in internationally recognised peer-reviewed journals and presented in international conferences;
- Have excellent understanding of the current global trends in university education, research and training;
- Be a leader with potential to plan, develop and implement academic programmes and develop strategic institutional linkages;
- Have excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Have demonstrated ability to network, fundraise, mobilise training and attract research grants that will be central to the development of the University;
- Membership to a recognised professional body in their profession will be an added advantage.
Terms and Conditions of Service
- The successful candidate will be offered a competitive remuneration package in accordance with the Mount Kenya University Terms and Conditions of Service.
- The appointment will be for a contractual period of five (5) years and mutually renewable for another term subject to satisfactory performance.
How to Apply
- Applicants should submit an application letter, detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of certificates, current e-mail address and telephone contacts.
- They should also provide names, telephone numbers and contact addresses of three referees.
- Shortlisted applicants will be required to submit certificate of good conduct from CID, clearance certificates from HELB, KRA, and relevant documents from EACC. For applicants from other jurisdictions outside Kenya, proof of integrity to hold top university leadership position will be required.
Applications should be sent to the undersigned to be received on or before 30th September 2019.
MKU is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply including non-citizens.
Board of Directors
Mount Kenya University
Main Campus, General Kago Road
P.O Box 342-01000 Thika.