Free Cancer Awareness Medical Camp
Mount Kenya University extends an invitation to members of public to attend a Free Lifestyle diseases awareness and cancer screening medical campat Main Campus, Thika from 30th July, 2018 to 2nd August, 2018. The medical camp whose theme is “My Health is My Wealth: Take the step, reduce the risk” targets over 5,000 attendants.
DATE: MONDAY, 30TH JULY, 2018 TO 2ND AUGUST, 2018.
VENUE: MOUNT KENYA UNIVERSITY, MAIN CAMPUS, THIKA.
The medical camp which is part of the University Community Outreach Program is a Collaborative initiative between the University, Thika level 5 Hospital, Kiambu County Government and Nanavati Super Specialty Hospital, India. The main objective of the camp is to create awareness on the risk of acquiring non- communicable diseases such as High blood pressure, diabetes and obesity and screen for Breast, cervical and prostate cancers.
In addition free treatment of dental conditions and common medical ailments will be available.
MKU College of Health Sciences team of specialist doctors in conjunction with their colleagues from Nanavati Hospital, India, Kiambu County and Zambezi Hospital will offer the following services;
- Screening for non -communicable lifestyle diseases- Hypertension and Diabetes
- Nutrition assessment and Health education on lifestyle diseases.
- Cervical cancer screening
- Breast cancer screening
- Prostate Cancer Screening
- Counseling services
- Dental/Oral Health services.
- Voluntary Counseling and Testing (HIV/AIDS)
Blood donation drive will be conducted by the Kenya National Blood Transfusion Services and Drug and substance abuse awareness by National Authority for Campaign against Drug Abuse (NACADA) at the same venue.
The University will also host a public lecture/ Health talks on Thursday 2nd August, 2018 at 2.00 pm at the MKU Indoor arena, Main Campus, Thika as follows;
- Dr. Geoffrey Mutuma- Chief Executive Officer/ consultant pathologist, Zambezi Hospital, Kenya.
- Nanavati Super Specialty Hospital, India.
- - Nanavati Super Specialty Hospital, India.