Certificate in Hospitality Management
The university conducted an extensive market survey prior to the designing of the programme where critical gaps in hospitality and tourism industry and training were identified.
The Certificate in Hospitality Management programme was designed to fill the gaps identified.
Why study the programme
The programme is intended to fill the forgoing identified gaps in hospitality skills development in the following areas:
- Front Office operation management
- Housekeeping and laundry management
- Food and beverage management
- Banqueting services
- Human resource management
- Service marketing
- Financial and Accounting management
- Service quality management
- Customer relationship management
- Events management
The course incorporates technology to meet the demands of the current job market and anticipated continued influence of electronic trade in conducting business in modern times.
Course Units of humanities like communication skills, Essential of Development, Business ethics and Laws are to address the issues of decision making as well as meet the 8.4.4 aspects in Kenya.
In filling the gaps identified in the training of hospitality professionals, the Certificate in Hospitality Management programme is designed to recognize that its graduates will; inter alia.
a)Have strong hospitality orientation and management knowledge in order to provide management knowledge, skills and abilities that will
- Enhance performance through effective training of key competencies and skills
- Enable successful performance of manpower systems in hospitality organizations
- Integrate all hospitality organization systems
- Strategize service organization of levels and functions System.
b) Exhibit strong ethical principles, good interpersonal communication values and virtues through
- Appropriate hospitality managers codes of conduct
- Effective and efficient trained team work
- Excellent work assignment and demonstration
- Being practically inquisitive and objective in achievements.
c) Have strong analytic and critical thinking, knowledge, skills and abilities to
- Solve management problems in hospitality organizations
- Apply perspective and prospective hospitality and management concepts and information
- Conceptualize and systemize people, principles, procedures, and data in hospitality enterprises
d) Design and implement hospitality management solutions that enhance organizational performance
- Acquiring, processing, designing and storing hospitality information
- Modeling hospitality organizational processes, defining and managing them.
- Helping staff in units, sections and departments to attain their goals in hospitality organization.
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study for Certificate in Hospitality Management the graduate will have acquired knowledge, skills and abilities to be able to:
- Equip students with strong management and operational skills in hospitality business.
- Have multi-faceted graduates with multi skilled and entrepreneurship abilities within hospitality and tourism industry.
- Train professionals who are practically oriented for the industry.
- Equip students with research and innovativeness for the hospitality industry
The entry requirements set out below must be regarded as minimum requirements which, in no way directly entitle an applicant to a place in the university. The following requirements must be fulfilled: -
- KCSE certificate with a minimum of grade C - minus or equivalent qualification recognized by University senate.
- An O’ level mean grade of Division III or equivalent
- An A’ Level qualification with a minimum of two subsidiary passes or equivalent
Exemptions and credit transfers
- Evidence supporting the application should include certified academic transcripts, certificates and a letter from the relevant registrar or authority
- Application for credit transfer will not be allowed three (3) weeks after the start of the semester / trimester unless granted permission by the University Senate.
- The University reserves the right to administer an appropriate test, through the relevant Department in order to determine whether exemption should be granted.
Programme duration and Fees
View the current prospectus here
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here