Bachelor of Science in Dental Technology
Mount Kenya University being a science and Technology Oriented university carried out a market survey and found out that; the opportunities that exist for dentists now and in the future make oral health one of the most exciting, challenging, and rewarding professions. Individuals who choose to pursue dental careers are motivated, scientifically curious, intelligent, ambitious, and socially conscious health professionals. They are men and women from diverse backgrounds and cultures, all of whom want to do work that makes a difference.
Why study the programme
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the underlying principles of Dental Technology.
- Demonstrate the application of methodologies needed for the identification and control of those factors that can adversely affect the health of present and future generations.
- Apply the requisite technical, scientific, managerial and interpersonal skills
- Undertake the profession and practice of Dental Technology.
- Service the needs of the commercial, industrial and public sector where they may be employed./deployed
- Demonstrate competence in conducting research and development.
There is a principle that the population should have access to all areas of primary health care, including necessary dental care. Care should be based on scientific evidence and provided efficiently. The Bachelor of Science in Dental Technology of Mount Kenya University shall provide students with specialized knowledge, skills and attitudes to design and manufacture dental prosthetic devices (dentures, partial dentures, crowns and bridges, implants and orthodontic devices (both passive and active retainers). The programme will produce Dental Technicians and technologists who usually work in a commercial dental laboratory which is separate from the dental office. Also work in public hospitals
The programme will be able to:
- Generate and impart knowledge, skills and attitudes that are pertaining to effective recognition and response to Dental Technology challenges.
- Prepare students academically and professionally for a career in Dental Technology.
- Produce competent graduates capable of conducting research and development. This is through critical analysis, problem-solving and life- long learning.
- To develop and expand opportunities for individuals wishing to continue their education in the health science disciplines.
- Provide community service through consultation, advice, training, participation, moral and financial support to the community and other stakeholders.
All candidates admitted to Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Technology in the School of Health Sciences must satisfy the following requirements:
i) Direct Entry
- They must satisfy common university requirements for admission.
- In addition, candidates must have obtained at least the minimum cut-off points for the year as determined from the following subject cluster drawn from the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) at “C+” level or its equivalent for each of the following subjects: Mathematics or Physics, Chemistry / Physical sciences, Biology/ Biological Science, English or Kiswahili.Or
- In addition the candidate should have obtained Division II at KCE or EACE or A level holder with at least three passes in any two of the following Mathematics/ Physics, Biology and Chemistry.Or
- A Bachelor’s Science Degree or Diploma in health related courses recognized by the University Senate.
ii) Entry via University Bridging
- A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a minimum of C+ and lacking cluster subjects in either Mathematics or Physics, Chemistry / Physical sciences, Biology/ Biological Science, English or Kiswahili
- A holder of EACE certificate or equivalent with minimum of two passes and lacking O level clusters subject grades as in (3) above.
iii) Entry via Pre-university Programme
A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a mean aggregate of C plain with C plain in either Mathematics or Physics, Chemistry / Physical sciences, Biology/ Biological Science, English or Kiswahili.
1v)Entry via upgrading
Diploma in Dental Technology from a recognised institution by the university senate, have undergone one year mandatory internship and at least two years’ work experience.
Exemptions and credit transfers
Credit transfers and exemption are possible depending on the qualification of the applicant. Requirement for credit transfer/Exemptions
- The applicant must have attained the pass mark in the subject to be considered for credit transfer/ exemption from an institution recognized by the Senate.
- The applicant must have passed the final examinations for the year in which the subject to be exempted was examined.
The following conditions should be met in seeking an exemption for a particular subject:
- The applicant shall pay a non-refundable credit transfer/exemption fee as determined by the School Board and approved by the Senate.
- A formal application on a prescribed form should be lodged with the Dean of School.
- The application should include justification and documentary support for the exemption to be considered.
- The School Board may require the applicant to sit an exemption examination.
- No exemption shall be granted for professional or clinical subjects.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here