MKU is an accredited service provider by Teachers Service Commission (TSC) to implement the TPD programme in compliance with the Teacher Professional Development programme guidelines. MKU shall offer continuous training of the programme to the teachers and instructional leaders.
The Rationale and legal Frame work of TPD
The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has a statutory mandate through the enactment of TSC Act Cap 212 section 11 (e) to facilitate professional development of teachers. The Commission, in its endeavor to achieve this objective, has developed a comprehensive Teacher Development Policy framework that spells out the seven (7) Kenya Professional Teaching Standards (KePTS) for both teachers and instructional leaders.
Mount Kenya University is an Accredited Service Provider.
Target of the programme
The TPD program is designed to cover the primary and secondary school teachers and Instructional leaders in both public and private primary and secondary schools and teachers in colleges. Teacher Professional Development provides opportunities for teachers to explore new roles, develop new instructional and leadership techniques, refine their practice and broaden their outlook as educators and as individuals.
1.0 Introductory module
This program will introduce teachers to Teacher Professional Development and to the Seven (7) Kenya Professional Teaching Standards (KePTS). The introductory module has five (5) chapters, which are expected to be completed within one year. The content of each chapter is based on current knowledge and research applicable to the practical needs of a Kenyan classroom teacher. The content and activities are applicable to real-life situation of a practicing teacher, are self-directed and experiential. They reflect a diversity of perspectives and address the knowledge, skills and attitudes required of a teacher in line with the TPD Policy Framework.
Mode of delivery
Blended mode consisting of face-to-face (On site) shall be done during school holidays and online learning where the teachers and instructional leaders shall access the online content any time anywhere via modern technologies.
TPD introductory module Facilitators
Training will be facilitated by qualified faculty from Mount Kenya University using a combination of various interactive learning platforms that are technology-driven to deliver an awesome learner experience through self- paced learning. The University will use Microsoft teams for interactive video sessions, Question and answer sessions, breakout sessions, and short-recorded videos amongst other platforms on certain topics to guide the learner.
MKU TPD APP
Kindly download the mobile App from the play store or use this link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.lyseon.mkutpd
The APP will allow easy application and students onboarding process with the following features;
- Pay bill integration for easy application
- Registration process
- Integration with Sakai to allow access to resources
- Communication, Feedback and progress monitoring.
The assessment will be in the form of authentic assessment that will include self-assessment, portfolio, and journals among others. This will involve Preparation of Reflective Learning Journal, Organizing a final Synthesis Seminar and Preparation of Professional Teaching Portfolio. The 3 assignments will account for 60 per cent of a teacher’s annual TPD score. The rest 40 per cent will be obtained through TPAD process.
- Transcripts to be issued to students upon completion of a chapter and the same shared with the Teachers Service Commission
- Upon successful completion of the TPD program, the teacher shall be issued with a teaching certificate renewable every five years.
Why enrol for the TPD programme at Mount Kenya University?
- Centre of Excellence in Teacher Professional Development: MKU School of Education has vast experience in providing professional development within East and Central Africa.
- Experienced Faculty: The University has a pool of experienced teaching faculty with requisite knowledge, skills, attitudes and competences and well -trained faculty in varied fields in teacher education, who will facilitate the training via modern technologies.
- Flexible fees payment: fees payment in easy instalments allowed and can either be deposited in the bank account or paid via Mpesa paybill and receipts auto-generated and sent to your email and sms notification.
- Supportive learning Environment: The University shall offer supportive learning experience to Learners which include but not limited to training manuals, Short and Personalized Videos, Online training through Microsoft Teams and other interactive e-learning platforms, Online Ticketing and helpdesk, Knowledge-based database and E-resources and library access
- Modern Learning Technologies: MKU provides a versatile and easy to navigate Learning that will support the deliver the online component of TPD
- Presence: The University has spread its network within the country through campuses, Open, Distance & Electronic Learning (ODEL) centres and strategic partnerships with key stakeholders in the 290 sub-county TPD Training centres in Kenya, where face-to-face sessions will occur.
- Community of Practice: The University will support the schools in building a Community of Practice and life-long professional networks where teachers will share expertise and experiences.
- Subsidised e-Learning bundles: MKU has partnered with Safaricom to enable learners to purchase subsidised data bundles, 10GB at Kshs. 500 to access online learning and e-resources.
TPD training Fee Payment
Each teacher will be required to pay a maximum fee of Kenya Shillings 6,000 per year to take part in the training. Payment will be paid either through;
- Mpesa: Pay Bill-Business Number 4078701
Account number-“ your TSC Number” or
- Deposit at Equity Bank, Account Name: Mount Kenya University Teacher Professional Development, Account Number: 1550281262747.
Use your TSC number as reference.
Teacher Professional Development Flier
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.
Mount Kenya University
Centre for Professional Development
Tel: +254 709 153 194 /+254 709 153 195