Doctor Of Philosophy in Education (PhD)
The Doctor of Philosophy by Course Work, Examination and Thesis in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction is designed to focus on both theory and practice in the five educational disciplines namely:-
- Curriculum Studies
- Educational Psychology
- Educational, Communication and Technology
- Educational Planning
- Educational Management, Administration and Leadership.
Globally, the need for well grounded and broadly trained education leaders in government, Universities and in the private sectors has led to the introduction of PhD by course work degree programs in many Universities. With the rise of globalization and associated processes and challenges, education issues, beneficiaries and society in general have become very complex. The PhD degree program by coursework provides the opportunity for the in depth study of contemporary education issues and challenges required by those charged with the responsibility of providing leadership in education management, education planning, financing of education, curriculum development, innovations, implementation and evaluation for equitable, good quality education.
The vision of the department is to be a centre of excellence in training high quality educational Managers, Planners, Curriculum Specialists, Researchers, Policy Makers and Teachers.
The mission of the Department is to produce human resource equipped with effective teaching management, planning and curriculum development skills for better leadership and research role in Education.
The main drive behind this programme is provide students with a firm foundation that prepares them to take roles as University faculty members, senior-level educational managers and leaders, policy makers, curriculum developers and researchers.
- To enable students to broaden their body of knowledge and understanding in their area of specialization
- To inculcate professional effective skills, abilities and competencies in the students to enable them advance their career and contribute to national development
- To enable students develop critical thinking, effective communication, analytical and leadership skills that will position them to meet challenges in education with today`s best practices.
- A holder of a Master of Education degree of Mount Kenya University or an equivalent from a recognized Institution of Higher Learning.
- Must have taken at least five (5) units at M.ED level in the area of specialization.
- Must show ability to undertake academic research by having written a Thesis/Dissertation or Research Project.
Duration of the programme
The duration of the PhD degree programme shall be as follows:
- A full time student shall be registered for a minimum of three (3) years and a maximum of four (4) years.
- A part-time student shall be registered for a minimum of four (4) years and a maximum of six (6) years.
- Continuance of registration will depend on evidence of satisfactory of student progress.
Mode of delivery
The PHD program will be delivered on fulltime basis, part time, holiday sessions, evenings and weekends
The students will be assessed as follows:
Continuous Assessment 50%
Final Examination 50%
Comprehensive Examination 100%
(Oral 50%, Examination 50 %.)
The students must pass in both modes of assessment. Students who fail will sit for a supplementary paper.
The Grading system will be as follows:
The Pass Mark for the Continuous Assessment and the Examination Shall Be 60%.
Qualifications for graduation with PhD degree in Education
To qualify for Doctor of Philosophy in Education, a student must have taken and passed nine (9) units: 5common, 4 cores and successful defense of the PhD thesis.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here