Master of Education in Special Needs
Philosophy of the proposed programme
To harness and equip students with knowledge, skills and attitudes for service to people with or without disabilities.
Rationale of the proposed programme
M.ED-SN in Education programme has been designed to recognize that its graduates shall:
• Solve educational problems in academic institutions with respect to persons with disabilities.
• Help staff and students in schools and colleges to attain their goals in education.
• Exhibit strong educational principles, good interpersonal communication skills, values, and attitude.
• Build capacity
Goals of the Proposed Programme
The goals of the proposed programme shall be to:
• Prepare graduates who are practical in the teaching profession.
• Meet the increasing demand in the labour market for teachers
• Produce graduates who can apply scientific and technological knowledge, skills, and abilities in the dissemination of education to an inclusive society.
• Conduct Research in their areas of competence and disseminate the information.
Mode of Delivery of the Proposed Programme
The mode of delivery shall be through direct mode, face to face teacher pupil contact.
The M.ED-SN programme shall be offered only in two modes: Full Time and Part Time. Full Time students shall be required to take a minimum of Five (5) Units per Semester. Part Time students shall be allowed to take a minimum of Three (3) Units per Semester.
Pattern for the Master of Education in Special Needs (M.ED-SNE)
The M.Ed. Degree in Special Needs in Education shall be conducted through Course Work, Examinations, and Thesis only.
In the First Year of study, M.ED-SN students shall be required to take 10 Units - Five (5) University Common Units and Five M.ED-SN Core Units.
In the Second Year, First Semester, students shall be required to take four Units in their areas of specialization of which, (3) shall be Core, and One (1) Elective Unit. Comprehensive Examinations shall be done in the second semester of the second year of study.
M.ED-SN students shall also be required to concentrate on their Theses/Dissertation equivalent to 8 (eight) Units .i.e. Semester One =5 University Core Units; Semester Two = 5 M.ED-SN Core Units. Semester One, Year Two = 3 (Three) Core Units in areas of Specialization plus One (1) Elective making a total of 4 (four) units. For M.ED-SN students to graduate, they should have taken a total number of 23 units including Comprehensive Examination and Thesis.
Minimum Entry Requirements for the M.Ed. SNE Programme
The following shall be the minimum University entry requirements for admission in the M.ED SN Degree Programme.
1. A Bachelor of Education, Special Needs Education (BED-SNE) Degree from Mount Kenya University or its equivalence from any other Public or Private University recognized by the Commission for University Education (CUE).
2. A Bachelor of Education Degree (Arts or Science with Diploma of Education in Special Needs of Mount Kenya University or its equivalence from any other Public or Private University as recognized by the Commission for University Education (CUE).
Any other admission requirements shall be determined by the Registrar, Academic Affairs as determined by the University admission criteria and the Senate.
Programme Start dates
School based – April, August and December
Regular – January, May and September