Department of Accounting and Finance
Bachelor of Commerce
The degree prepares candidates to work in the area of management, fiannce, accountancy, banking, consultancy, administration and related fields. The course is structured to reflect the changing world of commerce and provide a firm foundation for the world of work, necessary academic subjects, consideration of ethical principles and general studies that should influence decision making in a business environment.
The course is mean to meet the current need for managers with broad training who are at the same time specialists in a given area of business.
Objectives of the course
The Bachelor of Commerce degree programme aims to achieve the following objectives: -
- To develop an understanding of the general issues and approaches to business and management
- To enhance self confidence and the ability to critically evaluate business and management and develop solutions form the moral, professional and academic perspectives.
- To instill a problem solving attitude and business ethics in the practice of management
- To prepare the candidates for progression to higher levels of study
Expected learning Outcomes of the programme
- Upon completion of the prescribed course of study for Bachelor of commerce the graduate will have acquired technical, skills and abilities to be able to:
- Apply the acquired technical skills to solve problems in various business and technology areas
- Support business organizational control principles and procedures;
- Evaluate management processes and manpower analysis techniques and their place on the development of the business;
- Select and apply management paradigms in appropriate business situations;
- Design, develop and implement a management system and process for a business entity;
- Provide expertise in a chosen area of specialization area of management e.g. Accounting, Finance, Marketing Human Resource Management
A candidate must satisfy any of the following minimum requirement
i) KCSE or equivalent certificate with a minimum of C+ and grade C+ (plus) in both Mathematics and English or similar grades in an equivalent examination approved by the University Senate in liaison with CHE
ii) KACE or equivalent Certificate with a minimum of the principles passes and O level Credit in Mathematics and English Language.
iii) Diploma in relevant disciplines in the field of business from an institution recognized by the University Senate in liaison with CHE and a minimum of C- at KCSE. Diploma graduates may be eligible for credit transfers on application as spelt out by the University’s credit transfer policy
Entry via University Bridging
i) A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a minimum of C+ and lacking clusters subjects, Mathematics and English languages as in (i) above. The Candidate must score at least a C plain in the subject he/she is bridging in as in 6.1.1. (i) above;
ii) A holder of KACE certificate or equivalent with minimum of two principles and lacking O level clusters subject grades as in 6.1.1.(ii) above. The candidate must score in the subject in which he/she is bridging in as 6.1.1 (ii)
Entry via Pre-university Programme
i) A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a mean aggregate of C (plain) with C (plain) in Mathematics and English
Duration and Structure of the Programme
The B.Com course of study shall be of four academic year duration. Each Year is divided into 2 semesters
Access the whole Course Units
Award of Certificate
A candidate who satisfies the examiners in all the examinations in all the years shall, on the recommendation of the Board of Examiners and approval of the Senate, be awarded the Degree of Bachelor of Commerce