School of Business and Public Management
Dipartment of Accounting and Finance
Certificate In MicroFinance
Without knowledge, skills, attitude and experience in entrepreneurship and access to financial services, people have no incentives to save and without these entrepreneurs can hardly borrow to further expand or start their business and by extension their income bases. Provision of knowledge, skills, attitude and experience and access to business credit by small and medium entrepreneurs therefore will be the engine to propel our economic development and play a significant role in poverty reduction much as has happened in the so called Asian “tigers”.
The national efforts to alleviate poverty cannot preclude private intervention for an integrated and sustainable economic development. That's why Thika institute of technology in consultations with a variety of Micro-Finance Institutions (especially SACCOS, and the informal ones like merry-go-rounds), trainers and beneficiaries of microfinance, has established the need for an Advanced Certificate in Microfinance Course.
Objectives of the course
- Provide increased training opportunities for the increasing number of school leavers to enable them to be self – supporting.
- Provide practical skills and attitude, which will lead to income generating activities in the urban and the rural areas through self-employment or wage employment.
- Provide practical education and training skills, which will be responsive and relevant to Kenya's agricultural, commercial and economical needs.
- Encourage self-employment while at the same time producing skilled artisans, craftsman, technicians, and technologists for both formal and informal sectors.
- Develop skills, which will be responsive and relevant to the country's human resources required at the middle level.
- Prepare the trainees so that they can enter the world of work with confidence for either salaried employment or self-employed.
- To contribute to promotion of research and development in microfinance sector.
- Entry Requirement
- Trainees entering this course must have a KCSE Mean Grade of D+
- Evolution and paradigm shift in microfinance
- Microfinance models methodologies and products
- Business Communication skills
- Business management skills
- Accounting for small and medium enterprises
- Information, Communication and technology in business management
- Practical marketing strategies
- Production and operations management
- Financial management
- Customer care and services
- Legal aspects in microfinance institutions
- Group formation and client training
- Resource mobilization and fund raising
- Entrepreneurial development skills
- HIV / AIDs and other pandemics
- Gender and Development
Award of Certificate
A candidate who satisfy the Board of examiners in all the examinations and other course requirement shall, on the recommendation of the Board of Examiners be awarded the Advanced Certificate in Microfinance