Master of Education in Special Needs Education (MSE)
The mandate of the Education Sector in Kenya is to respond to the Constitution of Kenya (2010) and Kenya Vision 2030 and in so doing to propose strategies to address wastage and inefficiency; improve financial management and accountability, and to make education in Kenya inclusive, relevant and competitive regionally and internationally. The Constitution of Kenya (2010) recognises the need to protect the rights of people with disabilities and underscores the provision of equal opportunities to all Kenyans.
The following critical gaps have been identified: a shortage of trained teachers with knowledge and skills to address the needs of learners with special educational needs, positive attitudes amongst stakeholders in the implementation of inclusive education, among others. The Master of Education in Special Needs Education programme has been designed to meet the aforementioned challenges and demands affecting Kenya’s labour market as dictated by both local and international demands.
Why study the programme
The programme will provide practical knowledge, skills, information, and attitudes which educationists, teachers, students, and parents can build upon for the betterment of the society and particularly for people with special needs and disabilities. It will also harness and equip students with the current and appropriate knowledge and skills in special needs education for service to humanity.
Holders of a Bachelor’s degree, who wish to develop their knowledge and research skills in special needs education.
- To identify specific individual learning needs for learners with special educational needs
- To employ appropriate interventions to address specific educational needs of individual learners in learning institutions in Kenya
- To advocate for and use instructional strategies that facilitate inclusion of learners with special needs in all levels of education in Kenya.
- Advise parents, teachers and the larger community on the role of positive attitudes in the achievement of inclusion of learners with special educational needs and disabilities in all Kenyan learning institutions
- Effectively manage various institutions with learners with special educational needs
- Conduct research in the field of special needs education, science and technology
- A holder of a Bachelor of Education in Special Needs Education (BED-SNE) with at least Second Class Upper Division or its equivalent from a university recognised Commission for University Education (CUE). or
- A holder of Bachelor of Education in Special Needs Education (BED-SNE) with Second Class Lower Division or its equivalent from a university recognised Commission for University Education (CUE).or
- A holder of Bachelor of Education degree from a recognised University with at least a minimum Second Class Lower Division or its equivalent from a university recognised Commission for University Education (CUE) with at least two years teaching experience in a special school or unit.or
- A holder of Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from a recognised University with a minimum of Second Class Lower Division or its equivalent from a recognised University and a Post-graduate Diploma in Education with at least two years teaching experience in a special school or unit.
Exemptions and Credit Transfers
Credit transfers and exemptions are possible depending on the qualification of the applicant. The applicant must have attained the pass mark in the subject to be considered for credit transfer/exemption from an institution recognized by the University Senate.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here
Programme start dates
School based – April, August and December
Regular – January, May and September