Certificate in Clinical and Community Nutrition.
The high incidence and prevalence of preventable diseases and emergence of new diseases and the need for proper Nutrition places a heavy demand on the existing training institutions offering nutrition related courses.
Recent advances in I.C.T call for a need to revise our training Curriculum to be relevant to today’s market and to improve on operational research in the endeavour to meet Kenyan developmental goals as well as solve malnutrition problems in Kenya and Africa as a region. Nutrition activities are being in-corporate in development programmes and planners are using nutrition outcomes such as improved growth to evaluate the impact of these programmes. With a strong foundation of co-operation between local communities, NGO’s and government, the lives of our people can take the shape we want, and they deserve; i.e. healthy growth and development and greater productivity through good nutrition. Lack of access to good education and correct information can hamper this. Without information accessible from research and education programmes, the awareness, skills and behaviors needed to combat malnutrition cannot be developed. All human beings have the right to good nutrition. The world has the obligation to protect this right; building on both the great experience gained and the scientific knowledge achieved thus action is both possible and imperative.
Mount Kenya University recognizes the need for producing highly skilled Clinical and Community nutrition officers who will provide Kenyans with the much needed quality health care services.
Why study the programme
To develop professionals with competences to carry out preventive and promotive health services in the community and capable of adapting to changing trends in the health care delivery systems.
The major goal of development in Kenya is improvement of the overall well-being and quality of life of the population. Strategies to achieve this goal include Millennium Development Goals (MDGS) the District Focus for Rural Development and Primary Health care. Intersectoral Collaboration, affordable health technologies and community participation are now considered `as integral part of the overall development process. Thus there is need for well-trained nutrition professionals who can help and influence Communities and institutions to become more self-reliant, in the fight against Ignorance, Poverty and diseases (notably deficiency diseases and chronic ones) and in overall development Agenda of the communities.
- To provide facilities for college education for national health manpower requirement in addition to facilities provided by other universities, colleges, schools or institutions.
- To play an effective role in the development and expansion of opportunities for individuals wishing to continue their education in the health science disciplines.
- To provide consultancy services in health and related areas.
- To provide trainers who can effectively teach, conduct operational research, develop relevant and useful health learning materials and manage health training institutions.
- To make proposals for the establishment of constituent training centers and facilities.
The entry requirements set out below must be regarded as minimum requirements which, in no way directly entitle an applicant to a place in the university. The following requirements must be fulfilled: -
- KCSE certificate with a minimum of grade C - minus or equivalent qualification recognized by University senate.
- An O’ level mean grade of Division III or equivalent
- An A’ Level qualification with a minimum of two subsidiary passes or equivalent.
Exemptions and credit transfers
- Evidence supporting the application should include certified academic transcripts, certificates and a letter from the relevant registrar or authority
- Application for credit transfer will not be allowed three (3) weeks after the start of the semester / trimester unless granted permission by the University Senate.
- The University reserves the right to administer an appropriate test, through the relevant Department in order to determine whether exemption should be granted.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here