Bachelor of Education In Early Childhood Studies
This curriculum is prompted by the realization that ECD and Primary teachers are ‘strange professionals’ about what each does. Research has shown that children enjoy in the hands of ECD teachers as opposed to the time they transit to primary school, reason being poor link between the two worlds of experiences. It is also noted that most ECD teachers have basic academic qualifications to teach at the primary level although most of them lack jobs and have nothing to do after the 12.30 pm when children proceed home. These personnel, if empowered could alleviate the teacher crisis our country is often faced with. This is the major impetus to this curriculum.
It is also noted that in early childhood parents cooperates more with the teacher than other levels of education therefore the teacher is usually closely connected with the members of the community and he or she can have a strong influence on the life of community members since parents trusts her or him. This prompted the need to have a community option in order to equip early childhood teachers with community mobilization skills.
Why study the programme
The aims of Bachelor of Education Early Childhood Studies Degree programmes shall be:-
- To meet the increasing demand for teachers in the labour market
- To equip learners with the learning capacity and capability to harness and implement To prepare graduates who are practical in their approaches to classroom teaching
- Relevant emerging educational and community issues.
- To provide graduates with requisite skills and knowledge needed for effective management of Educational Institutions and community based organizations.
This program has been designed to:
- Produce highly qualified and skilled ECS graduates who will provide much needed quality, timely and accessible child care services as well as community services.
- The curriculum shall prepare ECS graduates for both public, private institutions and non-governmental organizations.
- Mean grade C+ (plus) at KCSE or its Equivalent OR
- Mean grade C (Plain) at KCSE or an Equivalent with Diploma in Early Childhood education from a recognized Institution. OR
- P1 Certificate with a mean grade of C- (Minus) at KCSE level, Diploma in Early Childhood education from a recognized Institution and two years teaching experience. OR
- KACE or equivalent Certificate with a minimum of the two principal passes and O-level Credit in Mathematics and one other subject.
(i) 22.214.171.124 Entry Vide University Bridging
A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a minimum of C+ and lacking cluster subjects (Mathematics and English languages as in (i) above). The Candidate must score at least a C plain in the subject he/she is bridging in as in 2.7.1. (a) Above.
A holder of KACE certificate or equivalent with minimum of two principal passes and lacking O level cluster subject grades as in 6.1.1.(ii) above. The candidate must score in the subject in which he/she is bridging in as 6.1.1 (ii)
Exemptions and credit transfers
Credit transfers and exemption are possible depending on the qualification of the applicant. The applicant must have attained the pass mark in the subject to be considered for credit transfer/ exemption from an institution recognized by the Senate. The maximum number of credit transfers given must be determined from time to time by the university Senate.
The following conditions should be met in seeking an exemption for a particular subject:
- The applicant shall pay a non-refundable credit transfer/exemption fee as determined by the School Board and approved by the Senate.
- A formal application on a prescribed form should be lodged with the Dean of School.
- The application should include justification and documentary support for the exemption to be considered.
- The applicant must have passed the final examinations for the year in which the subject to be exempted was examined.
- The School Board may require the applicant to sit an exemption examination.
No exemption shall be granted for professional or clinical subjects.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here