Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
The University conducted an extensive market survey prior to the designing of the programme which revealed a critical and acute shortage of specialists in corporate communications as well as media management. There were also glaring gaps in professional development and training in line with the discipline of Journalism.
Why Study the Programme
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study for Diploma in Journalism the graduate will have acquired knowledge, skills and abilities to be able to
By the end of the two year course, the learner should be able to:
- Work as a professional in the mass media
- Work in the corporate communications industry.
- Be able to pursue advanced studies with the aim of being an academic expert in the field of media
The programme is meant to meet the current needs for Journalists with a broad based training, who are at the same time specialists in a given area of media. This programme has been designed to deepen and broaden the students’ practical knowledge and skills in Journalism in preparation for the media market, self-employment as well as for further studies at related degree level.
- To develop an understanding of the general issues and approaches to Journalism and Mass communication.
- To enhance self-confidence and the ability to gather ,prepare and process news information from moral, professional and the academic perspectives
- To instill a problem solving attitude and media ethics in the practice of Journalism and Mass media.
- To prepare the candidates for progression to degree levels
To be admitted into the Diploma in Journalism programme, a student must fulfill the following requirements:
Mean grade of C and above in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) or other qualifications recognized by the senate and grade C plain in Kiswahili and English.
Exemptions and Credit Tranfers
- Evidence supporting the application should include certified academic transcripts, certificates and a letter from the relevant registrar or authority
- Application for credit transfer will not be allowed three (3) weeks after the start of the semester / trimester unless granted permission by the University Senate.
- The University reserves the right to administer an appropriate test, through the relevant Department in order to determine whether exemption should be granted.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here
Programme Start Dates
Every January, May and Sept