Diploma in Environmental Health
The policy of the Ministry of health towards improving health status of the country’s population is to lay more emphasis on preventive and promotive health in achieving the goal of Health for All by the Year 2000 and beyond.
In contribution to overall aim of the ministry of health, the Department of Public Health promotes and assists communities’ initiative to animate their own preventive and promotive measures, in order to maintain good health e.g. achieving adequate sanitation through modification of human environment among other activities.
The main purpose is to prevent and reduce the transmission of infectious diseases in the human population by improving physical, biological, cultural and social environmental conditions.
The scope and dimension of Public health, is therefore, broad and constantly changing due to dynamic human activities and the natural forces in our environment, which affects quality of human life. It is, therefore, necessary to prepare a competent officer academically and professionally sound, to be able to cope with the emerging problems in our environment.
In practice, public health professions require an integral knowledge of the relevant basic science together with detailed skills of applications on the legal requirement and code of practice.
This will enable the professional to identify situations that are detrimental to man’s health and take the necessary measures
It is against such background the department is intended to provide necessary fundamental and applied public health and educational concepts, which enables the students to pursue their careers on health delivery through a multidisciplinary approach.
The scope and dimensions of public heath is broad and constantly changing, due to dynamic human activities and natural forces in our environment, and on the quality of human life, which are already imposing the need for better academic and professional preparation and competence, to be able to cope with the emerging problems of health in our eco-system.
The practice of public health professional requires an integration of knowledge of the relevant sciences together with detailed appreciation of legal requirements and code of practice in order to enable identification of situations hazardous to man’s health and hygiene. The formation of solution to overcome public health problems also require skilful and imagination in the conduct of problem investigation together with broad education and tact in the enforcement of legislation.
Against such background the department intends to provide the necessary fundamental and applied health education, which will enable the students, to pursue their career and to establish efficient, working relationship with other related profession groups.
This is summarized in the motto “PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.”
Why Study the Programmme
To develop professionals with competences to carry out preventive and promotive health services in the community and capable of adapting to changing trends in the health care delivery systems.
Currently, there is only few institutions that offers Diploma in Community Health in Kenya. Thus, whereas the demand for Community health professionals by the labour market has continued to increase over the years, this has not been matched with training opportunities. This then implies that there is need for capacity building in the field of community health to enable the country and the region at large, respond effectively to deteriorating conditions that affect human health.
- Identify and prioritize community health needs and mobilize the community into action
- Plan, implement and evaluate appropriate environmental health programmes.
- Carry out disease surveillance and institute measures for prevention and control.
- Interpret and effectively enforce public health legislation and other laws related to public health.
- Vet building plans and supervise construction of buildings.
- Design waste management systems in rural and urban communities.
- Carry out food quality control.
- Design and implement water supply schemes and ensure its quality.
- Institute effective measures for the prevention and control of pests.
- Carry out sanitary inspection of various premises and advice on health requirements.
- Carry out research.
- Initiate comprehensive occupational health and safety programmes.
- Plan and implement immunization programmes.
- Institute effective environmental pollution control measures.
- To advice on health and environmental issues in relation to rural and urban planning and development.
- Observe professional ethics and demonstrate high sense of responsibility, initiative and efficiency in performance of his/her duties.
The minimum requirement for admission for Diploma in Environmental Health Sciences is a C in KCSE or its equivalent with a minimum pass C in English or Kiswahili and minimum passes C- in Biology and Mathematics respectively and minimum passes C- in any two of the following: Chemistry, Physics or Physical Science and building construction/Technical drawing.
A pass in certificate in environmental health / community health
Exemptions and Credit Transfers
Exceptions and Credit transfers shall be considered by the University Senate on payment of requisite fees. Possession of the minimum requirements does not guarantee automatic admission to the Diploma in Environmental Health sciences
Six (6) Trimesters
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here
Programme Start Dates
Every January, May and Sept