Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health
Philosophy of the proposed programme:
To impart knowledge and skills in environmental health for health promotion and development
Rationale of the proposed programme
Worldwide, many people continue to suffer from preventable communicable diseases such as diarrhea as a classical example. The need for capacity building in the field of environmental health has been compounded by the continued increase environmental hazards emanating from the rapid urbanization and industrialization due to modern technological advancement. The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree programme in Environmental Health aims at producing Environmental Health scientists capable of addressing health issues by responding effectively to deteriorating environmental conditions that affect human health with a view to proposing possible solutions thereby enhancing good health and sustainable environmental management.
The need for prevention, reduction of transmission of communicable and non- communicable diseases in the human population calls for improving physical, biological, cultural and social environmental conditions.
The labour market demand for environmental health practitioners over the years has not been matched with the existing training opportunities in the country and the region at large, hence ineffectively responding to deteriorating environmental conditions that affect human population and health.
The need for capacity building in the field of environmental health has been compounded by the continued increase environmental hazards emanating from the rapid urbanization and industrialization due to modern technological advancement hence filling the existing gaps in environmental health training. The programme intends to produce an Environmental Health Practitioner who will be capable of integrating theory and practice in critically assessing, analyzing and managing environmental issues affecting the health of the individual and the community. The environmental health graduate will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills through lectures, tutorials, group discussion, practicals, research and field work.
Objectives of the Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Health
- To play an effective role in the development and expansion of opportunities for individuals wishing to continue their education in the health science disciplines
- To prepare students academically and professionally for a career in environmental health
- To produce high quality graduate capable of critical analysis, problem-solving, research and life-long learning.
- Conduct research in environmental health issues with a view to providing recommendations to solve environmental health challenges
- Provide community service through consultation, advice, training, participation, moral and financial support to the community and other stakeholders
- Generate and impart knowledge, skills and attitudes that pertain to effective recognition and response to environmental health challenges.
- Train manpower that is adaptable to emerging and re-emerging environmental health challenges.
- Enhance appropriate use of natural and human resources to promote good health and sustainable development
All candidates admitted to Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Health must satisfy the following requirements:
Direct Entry Requirement
- They must satisfy common university requirements for admission.
- In addition, candidates must have obtained at least the minimum cut-off points for the year as determined from the following subject cluster drawn from the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) at “C+” level or its equivalent for each of the following subjects: either Mathematics or Physics, Chemistry/Physical sciences, Biology/Biological Science, English or Kiswahili
- In addition the candidate should have obtained Division II at KCE or EACE or A level holder with at least two principles
- A Bachelor’s degree or diploma from a recognized institution in the following areas: Environmental health; environmental studies; water and civil engineering; pharmacy; nursing; clinical medicine; biomedical laboratory technology; biomedical sciences; public health; community health, nutrition and other health related courses recognized by the University Senate
Entry vide university bridging
- A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a minimum of C+ and lacking cluster subjects in either Mathematics or Physics, Chemistry / Physical sciences, Biology/ Biological Science, English or Kiswahili in 2.9.1. (b) above
- A holder of EACE certificate or equivalent with minimum of two principles and lacking O level clusters subject grades as in 2.9.1 (c) above
Entry vide pre-university programme
A holder of KCSE certificate or equivalent with a mean aggregate of C plain with C plain in either Mathematics or Physics, Chemistry / Physical sciences, Biology/ Biological Science, English or Kiswahili
Credit transfers and exemption are possible depending on the qualification of the applicant.
Requirement for credit transfer/exemptions
- The applicant must have attained the pass mark in the subject to be considered for credit transfer/ exemption from an institution recognized by the Senate.
- The applicant must have passed the final examinations for the year in which the subject to be exempted was examined.
- The following conditions should be met in seeking an exemption for a particular subject:
- The applicant shall pay a non-refundable credit transfer/exemption fee as determined by the School Board and approved by the Senate.
- A formal application on a prescribed form should be lodged with the Dean of School.
- The application should include justification and documentary support for the exemption to be considered.
- The School Board may require the applicant to sit an exemption examination.
- No exemption shall be granted for professional or clinical subjects.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here