Master of Science in Statistics
Rationale of the Programme.
Statistical methods are becoming more and more prevalent in business, industry, technology, medicine, economics, public sector and academia. As such there is a wide choice of opportunities for well-trained statisticians in Medical research and drug development, Banking, programming, consultancy, investment analysis, and can serve as economists, planners, Business Analysts, Professors, Software Engineers, Mathematicians Risk Analysts, Quality Analysts, Investigators, Environmental Scientists, Pharmaceutical Engineers, Researchers, Data Analysts and Project Managers
Why study the Programme.
The goal of the MSc in statistics Programme is to prepare students to adjust to an ever-changing volatile Mathematical modelling and Statistical environment by giving them regular access to experienced Statisticians and Mathematicians who strive for a delicate balance between the importance of strong academic skills and practical market experience
A candidate, who qualifies to enter the Programme as specified in the entry requirements above, can register with the University to undertake the Master of Sciences in Statistics.
- To attract qualified students for the program
- To conduct investigations using the mathematical statistical enquiry cycle
- To enable Interpretation of statements made by others from statistical investigations and probability activities.
- To investigate situations that involve elements of chance, acknowledging and anticipating possible outcomes
- To prepare them for doctoral studies.
The following shall be eligible for admission in the Master of Science Degree in Statistics
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree from Mount Kenya University of at least Upper Second Class Honours in Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science, Bachelor of Science in statistics and Bachelor of Science in mathematics or an equivalent qualification from a university recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate and the Commission for University Education (CUE)
- Holders of a Bachelor’s degree from Mount Kenya University lower Second Class Honours in Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science, Bachelor of Science in statistics and Bachelor of Science in mathematics or an equivalent qualification from a university recognized by Mount Kenya University Senate. The candidate must have at least two years of relevant work experience.
Programme duration and fees.
Regular and weekend
Programme start dates.
January, May and September every year.
Duration and Fees
Kindly click on this link to view the fees and program duration
Download application form here