Bachelor of Social Work and Administration
RATIONALE AND JUSTIFICATION FOR THE PROGRAMME
Bachelor of Social Work and administration is a professional four-year degree with a strong practical focus. It is designed to nurture graduates who can be employed in both public and private sectors, in planning, administration and research, and providing services for young people, families, and the aged, people who have committed offences and people with disabilities. Due to the emerging changes in lifestyle and the changing economic times, there is a need to prepare professionals who will facilitate smooth changes in the social, economic, cultural and political lives of people and especially the poor. Social work and Administration is design to equip trainees with the skills attitudes and knowledge to improve the quality of life and wellbeing of an individual, group, or community by intervening through research, policy, community organizing, direct practice, and teaching on behalf of those afflicted with poverty or any real or perceived social injustices and violations of their human rights
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the ideological influences, values, and historical roots which have shaped social work.
- Describe the nature of social work including the underlying assumptions, values, and ethics that guide the profession.
- Describe the relationship between private troubles (personal struggles) and public issues (social structures, social difference, social policy), including how the invisible walls of racism, sexism, heterosexism, classism, colonialism, ageism, and ableism produce and sustain inequalities in society.
- Explain the origins and manifestations of social injustices, and the multiple and intersecting bases of oppression, domination, and exploitation.
- Explain the tasks and phases of the social work practice process
- Describe the evolving nature of theories and practice approaches that inform social work practice (generalist, structural, anti-oppressive, anti-racist, anti-colonial/First Nations perspectives) and analyze the contexts within which social work is practiced (individuals, families, groups, communities, research, and policy)
Candidates wishing to study for the Bachelor of Social Work and Administration degree shall have met the minimum University entry requirements.
- KCSE certificate holders or its equivalent. Applicants must have scored a mean grade C + (plus) with a minimum score of C (plain) in English/Kiswahili and any Humanity/Social Sciences subjects OR
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KACE) or East African Advanced Certificate of Education (EACE), with a minimum of 1 Principal pass and 2 Subsidiary passes OR
- Diploma or professional certificate in relevant disciplines from an institution of higher learning recognized by the University Senate. OR
- Any other qualification recognized by the University Senate
Transfer of Credits / Units and Exemptions
Applicants may transfer credits for similar Units taken and passed in other institutions recognized by the university senate in the basic years only.
Applicants seeking transfer of credit may;-
- Send a formal application seeking transfer of credits, justification of the request and attach evidence of the credentials which would support such request;
- Apply for transfer of credit which is processed only after paying the prescribed exemption fee;Units applied for transfer should have attained a grade B and above
The Bachelor of Social Work and Administration degree program shall not be less than 4 academic years and not more than 6 years on full time basis and not less than 8 academic years and not more than 10 years on part time basis
Mode of delivery
The Unit shall be delivered on regular, school based, virtual learning, evening and weekends.
This programme targets the form four leavers who want to pursue a career in social work, the diploma holders and people working with NGOs and Government in the department of gender, Development and social services.
Download the most recent fee structure here
Applications can be downloded here , you can also submit your application online here